Mladen Jovanovic is a physical preparation coach from Belgrade, Serbia. While he’s currently working on his Ph.D. research on velocity-based training, he’s held past positions at prestigious clubs like the Port Adelaide and the Aspire Academy.
In this show, Mladen and I discuss how you can use load zones or rep zones to give the athlete some say in the training program, the difference between pushing and pulling styles of programming, and why agile periodization is such a powerful tool to have in your toolbox.
This is a really great show, and one I know you’re going to love.
Here’s a brief overview of what we covered on the show:
- MR Monologue: Providing Flexibility in Your Workout Routines and Training Programs
- How Mladen got started in the world of physical preparation.
- The difference between push and pull workouts, and when to use each one over the course of the training year.
- The role of planned deload weeks in pull workouts (Hint: You may not even need them!)
- Load Zones and Rep Zones: What they are, and how they can benefit you.
- Mladen’s current views on velocity-based training (VBT), and how he’s using it in his programming.
- What is agile periodization? And how can you use it to get better results?
- The BIG Question.
- The lightning round where we chat about the mistakes Mladen has made as a coach, the book(s) he’s reading right now, and why Miachiavelli should be required reading for coaches working in professional sports.
Connect with Mladen
- Complementary Training website (this link is discounted if you want to register and get some awesome info!)
- Mladen on Twitter