Gary Schofield is the head physical preparation coach at Greater Atlanta Christian, and a guy who is doing some really amazing work with his young athletes.
In this episode Gary and I cover a ton of different topics including how he manages 409 athletes per day, his 5 principles for training, and what he means when he says athletes today are overspecialized and underdeveloped.
Let’s do this!
Here’s a brief overview of what we covered in this show:
- What got Gary into the world of physical preparation.
- His overarching philosophy for training young athletes.
- The 5 Principles he uses to guide his training programs.
- What it means to be overspecialized, yet under generalized.
- What a typical training session looks like (considering he only has 30 minutes to get it done)!
- How an “average” day looks for Gary.
- The ONE piece of advice he’s give to young coaches in the industry.
- Some insight as to what Gary is working on to improve himself as a coach.
- The BIG Question.
- An engaging lightning round where we discuss what coach he’d like to meet, favorite books, his biggest accomplishment as a coach, and one thing you can start doing, TODAY, to get better.
Connect with Gary