Derek Hansen is one of my go-to resources when it comes to speed training and physical preparation.
This guy has been around some true legends in our game – Al Vermeil, Al Miller, and the incomparable Charlie Francis to name just a few – and I guarantee you can learn a thing or two from him.
In this episode, Derek and I are going to discuss his time spent with Charlie Francis, why we’re seeing so many athletes break down, and the real things you should be doing to help your athletes get faster.
Here’s a brief overview of the show:
- What originally led Derek to the world of physical preparation.
- How Derek orginally met Charlie Francis, and the story of how they ended up working together.
- The overarching principles you must adhere to if you want to get someone faster.
- The biggest mistakes Derek sees with regards to speed training today.
- How you should alter your speed training approach with team sports, versus track and field athletes.
- Should coaches be more worried about excessive volume? Or excessive intensity?
- The role of tempo running in a program.
- The advice Derek would give his former self if he could alter the space-time continuum.
- The ever popular lightning round!
A Call to Arms
Thanks for listening to the show! I’m putting a ton of time and effort into it, and I hope you’re learning a ton.
And if you have just a second, please do me a quick favor and drop me some feedback on iTunes, or just pass the show along to a friend or colleague. I’d really appreciate it!
All the best