Rob has been involved with boxing since 1990, and the strength and conditioning industry since 2001. He has interned with and studied under some of the biggest pioneers of the industry, including Paul Chek, Charles Poliquin, Louie Simmons, Mike Boyle, and Tom Purvis. He’s also spent time observing legendary boxing coaches working such as Freddie Roach. He currently owns and operates Pilger’s Old School Boxing and Fitness academy, a successful boxing, fitness, and Krav Maga gym in Columbus Ohio.
In this wide ranging interview, Rob and I discuss why mistakes are a blessing, his advice for young coaches, and the biggest mistakes boxers are making in their training.
Between the colorful language and Rob’s intense personality, there’s a lot of great information in this show. Plus, if you can listen to this and not be fired up at the end, you better have a doctor check you out.
Here’s an overview of what we covered in this show:
- How Rob got started in the world of physical preparation.
- The physical traits a boxer needs to be successful (and this answer was NOT what I was expecting).
- The role Louie Simmons has played in his career, and why he still calls him a friend today.
- Conditioning for boxing: What works, and what doesn’t.
- How Rob stays on top of his game as a fitness professional AND business owner.
- The BIG Question
- An extended lightning round, where we discuss how he makes his gym stand out, his thoughts on the current “boxing fitness” facility fad, and what felt like every book he’s read in the past year!
Connect with Rob
- Social Media
- Boxing Blueprint
- The BIG Book List