To the strength and conditioning coach, speaker, and consultant, Keir Wenham-Flatt, asking the right questions is as crucial as getting the right answers.
Keir is the founder of Strength Coach Network, a platform that helps strength and conditioning professionals climb the coaching career ladder. He has presented at major sporting organizations, including the NFL, NBA, MLB, English Rugby Premiership, and the Argentina Soccer Primera.
Keir, who has worked at the elite level of multiple sports worldwide, believes that coaches need to keep asking themselves the right questions on everything they do—from reverse engineering sports to pre-season testing.
Keir joins me today to discuss what he learned from professional to collegiate sport and why the collegiate strength and conditioning game is tough. He outlines the concepts of reverse engineering performance and testing to ensure we’re getting the most out of our training buck.
He examines what agility is and describes the distinguishing characteristics of change of direction, drills, and perception. Keir also underscores the power of asking the right questions about testing and training and shares his advice on how strength and conditioning coaches can find success in their careers.
The body will only move at the speed the brain is able to process and make decisions. – Keir Wenham-Flatt
This week on the Physical Preparation Podcast:
- Keir’s background and his time as a collegiate strength and conditioning coach
- Why Keir values reverse engineering the demands of sports
- Improving pre-season testing in physical preparation
- Questions strength and conditioning coaches need to ask themselves about testing
- How to improve agility and speed training
- General reactive tasks and the difference between pre-planned movements and agility
- How awareness and presence of mind can overpower physical qualities
- Sandpits and their massive impact on an athlete’s ability
- Applying business strategies to sports and the lessons Keir learned from running his own business
- Keir’s advice for former football players who want to try their hands at rugby
Connect with Keir:
- Strength Coach Network
- Strength Coach Network on LinkedIn
- Strength Coach Network on Instagram
- Strength Coach Network on Facebook
- Keir Wenham-Flatt on LinkedIn
Stop the Frustration! Get the Complete Coach Certification
Are you a young fitness trainer or coach?
Are you frustrated by the results you’re getting or the lack of resources available to learn the skills you need to be successful?
Are you struggling to get enough clients or wondering how long you’ll be able to follow your passion for helping others?
It’s time to stop the frustration and stop worrying. It’s time to get certified!
If you’re serious about improving your results, serious about becoming a better coach, and serious about increasing your bottom line, then you need the Complete Coach Certification.
In this massive course, you’ll learn:
- How to use the R7 system to create seamless, integrated and efficient programs for clients and athletes of all shapes and sizes
- How to create the culture, environment and relationships with everyone you train so you can get the absolute best results
- The exact progressions, regressions, and coaching cues I use in the gym – from squatting and deadlifting to pressing and pulling and everything in between
- The assessment process I use to determine the best exercises for a client or athlete on Day 1, and how to set them up for maximal success down the line!
This massive certification course is jam-packed with everything I’ve learned over the last 20 years of my career.
So if you’re ready to get serious about the results you’re getting for your clients and the impact your programs have on your income, head over to www.completecoachcertification.com to sign up for the Complete Coach Certification course today!
Spots are limited, and the next certification is set to launch in March 2022.
To learn more, please join my FREE Insiders List and stay tuned for our launch details to save $200 when the course opens!
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Physical Preparation Podcast with Mike Robertson – your one-stop-shop for fitness trainers, coaches, and athletes.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, SoundCloud, Spotify, and Google Podcasts and leave your honest review. I’d also love to connect via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or visit our website.
And last but not least, please don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends on social media. Thank you!