Dr. Marc Bubbs is a Naturopathic Doctor and author of Peak: The New Science of Athletic Performance That is Revolutionizing Sports.
Marc, like many people in high school, was active and played a lot of sports. But an illness ran him down in his senior year, impacting his health so much that he lost a significant amount of weight.
When the doctors couldn’t figure out what was happening, he was directed to a nutritionist. Marc was so incredibly astonished at the simple but powerful impact of nutrition on health and performance that he later pursued a Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine.
Today, Marc is the consultant Performance Nutritionist for Canada Basketball and Altis. For over two decades, Marc has been working with clients ranging from elite athletes to business executives to improve their health, using an evidence-based approach to nutrition and fitness.
Marc joins me today to share his “Human first, food first, and behavior first” philosophy in nutrition.
He describes how many macronutrients individuals and athletes should be getting and defines the “Three Ts” of carbohydrate intake.
He illustrates the role of food, diet, and nutrition in sports and physical performance and explains why we need to include fat in our diet.
And last but not least, he shares his advice for people who want to eat healthier and highlights the value of mastering your mornings.
If we can keep athletes healthy, performance follows. – Dr. Marc Bubbs
This week on the Physical Preparation Podcast:
- The power of nutrition and what led Marc to the world of physical preparation
- Marc’s career path and what he learned from working as a trainer in London
- How a naturopathic doctor is different from other medical paths
- Marc’s Big Rocks for training and his “human first, food first, and behavior first” philosophy
- How food and diet impact physical performance
- Ingraining habits and behaviors for optimal development and performance
- Where athletes hit the mark when it comes to macros and macronutrients
- The importance of carbohydrates and proteins in our diet
- Working with an athlete who’s scared of carbohydrates
- The athletes’ cycle of reducing and increasing carbohydrate intake and what causes it
- Marc’s thoughts on the “Bro Mindset” of consuming two to three grams of protein per pound of body weight
- The role of time, total, and type in carbohydrate intake
- Communicating the importance and role of fat and why you need it
- What carb rinsing is and how it works
- Keeping carbohydrate intake simple before a match or practice
- The emotions tied to eating and their impact on nutrition and diet
- The power of mastering your mornings and Marc’s advice on eating healthier
Connect with Dr. Marc:
- Athlete Evolution
- Bubbs Website
- The Performance Nutrition Podcast
- Marc Bubbs on LinkedIn
- Marc Bubbs on YouTube
- Marc Bubbs on Instagram
- Marc Bubbs on Facebook
- Marc Bubbs on Twitter
- Book: Peak: The New Science of Athletic Performance That is Revolutionizing Sports
Make 2021 Your Best Year Yet!
Are you ready to take your health and fitness training to the next level and make 2021 your best year yet?
The best way to achieve your fitness goals, improve your training techniques, and create healthier habits is by working with a coach.
I want to help you feel great while getting stronger, improving your mindset, and achieving your fitness goals!
To do this, I want to invite you to join my Annual Training Group Program to maximize your performance and ensure you’re making progress toward your goals.
The RTS Annual Training Group
My Annual Training Group Program is more than just a training program!
In this program, we’ll focus on the four phases of physical training, which include:
- Building the Engine
- Leaning Season
- Athletic Domination and
- Getting Strong(er)
You’ll also receive new monthly workouts to follow and set monthly challenges to develop strong habits in nutrition, recovery, and mindset.
To sign up for the Annual Training Group Program, visit: RobertsonTrainingSystems.com/Annual
Let’s make 2021 your best fitness year yet!
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Physical Preparation Podcast with Mike Robertson – your one-stop-shop for fitness trainers, coaches, and athletes.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, SoundCloud, Spotify, and Google Podcasts and leave your honest review. I’d also love to connect via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or visit our website.
And last but not least, please don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends on social media. Thank you!