Eric Cressey is the president and co-founder of Cressey Sports Performance, with facilities in Hudson, MA and Jupiter, FL. Eric has worked with clients from youth sports to the professional and Olympic ranks, but is best known for his extensive work with baseball players, as more than 100 professional players train with him each off-season.
Eric publishes a free blog and newsletter at his website, www.EricCressey.com, and has a podcast at www.EliteBaseballPodcast.com.
Eric is someone that I consider a true professional in our industry, and a good friend as well. We’ve co-authored products and articles together, and he’s someone I’m constantly learning from.
In this show, Eric and I go deep on the topic of shoulders. We start with how a beat-up shoulder from tennis helped him become a go-to resource for pitchers, the massive demands placed on the shoulder when throwing, an overview of his assessment process, how he blends movement quality with training savagery, the power of the lats in pro pitchers, and his current thoughts on arm care.
If you train any overhead athlete you should be listening to Eric, and we cover a ton of ground in this show.
Here’s a brief overview of what we covered in this week’s show:
- Show Intro:
- Jess and I – 15 year anniversary
- Weekend sportsing updates,
- Complete Coach Certification updates.
- Deep Thought:
- Put Yourself Out there
- Interview with Eric:
- How a beat-up tennis shoulder gave Eric a massive understanding of the shoulder, and helped him become one of elite resources in all of baseball.
- The extreme demands placed on the shoulder when pitching.
- His assessment and evaluation process when starting with a new pitcher, including how much time is spent in different areas of the assessment process (i.e. discussion, orthopedic, sport-specific, etc.)
- Real talk: How do you write a program that allows someone to train like a savage, while keeping their shoulders healthy in the process?
- Eric’s advice on arm care routines, and how he finds ways to sneak this kind of work into his programming.
- A frank discussion on breathing, resets, and how he incorporates them into his workouts.
- A peek behind the curtain – what are the differences between training an up-and-coming prospect, versus an all-star or Cy Young Winner like Max Scherzer or Corey Kluber?
- A super engaging lightning round where we talk about the new CSP facility, the qualities he looks for in interns, how he works to find work/life balance, and what’s next for Eric Cressey.
- Eric on Twitter
- Eric on Instagram
- Eric Cressey Podcast #1
- Eric Cressey Podcast #2
- CSP Fall Seminar
- CSP Business Mentorship
Do You Want to Become a Complete Coach?
It seems like every day I talk to a young trainer or coach who is frustrated.
Frustrated with the results they’re getting.
Frustrated because they don’t have trusted resources to learn from.
And maybe they’re frustrated because they simply don’t have enough clients, and wonder how long they’ll be able to stay in the industry.
So if this sounds anything like you, I’ve got something that I know will help!
My Complete Coach Certification was created for trainers and coaches just like you – who are serious about the results they get, and know that becoming a better coach can directly translate to a bigger bottom line.
This certification is going to take the last 20 years of my life’s work and put it all into one massive course. In it you’ll learn:
- How to use the R7 system to create seamless, integrated and efficient programs for clients and athletes of all shapes and sizes,
- How to create the culture, environment and relationships with everyone you train so you can get the absolute best results, and
- The exact progressions, regressions and coaching cues I use in the gym – from squatting and deadlifting to pressing and pulling and everything in between.
Of course there’s a ton more that I cover, but that should give you a pretty good idea of what the certification is all about!
Now here’s the thing – spots for the certification will open twice per year for a limited time only. If you’re interested in learning more, my next certification will launch in September, and if you join my FREE Insiders List, you’ll be able to save $200 when it opens!
If you’re interested in learning more, please head over to CompleteCoachCertification.com to get on the Insider’s List. Thank you!
Sharing is Caring!
If you took something away from this AWESOME show with Eric, please take 30 seconds out of your day to share via email, social or whatever means work best for you.
Thanks so much for your support!