Matej Hocevar is the Owner and Co-founder of VigorGround and the Head of Strength and Conditioning at NK Olimpija Ljubljana.
For years, Matej has been helping people develop their physical performance and has worked with clients from all walks of life, from national and youth athletes to general population and senior clients.
His passion for sports and movement, along with his desire to help socially disadvantaged people access physical development opportunities, drove him to create The Movement Culture Project. In addition to this documentary series about movement habits and traditions all over the world, Matej also writes about sports and biomechanics on his blog, Making Sense of Performance.
Matej joins me today to discuss training older adult clients, sports science, and his passion project. He underscores the importance of communication, empathy, and other soft skills in working as a coach.
He defines what neuromuscular fatigue is, the metrics he uses to measure it, and how monitoring it helps you design, adapt, and adjust fitness programs.
And last but not least, he reveals how his training has evolved over the years and shares the inspiration that sparked the Movement Culture Project.
Develop them as people, not just as athletes and players. – Matej Hocevar
This week on the Physical Preparation Podcast:
- Matej’s background, his career as a professional athlete, and his transition to becoming a strength and conditioning coach and consulting work
- The role of communication skills in introducing soccer players to the gym
- How Matej’s experience as a young professional athlete helps his work as a coach
- What tactical periodization is, its implementation, and its flaws
- How Matej applies tactical periodization to his program
- Matej’s introduction to neuromuscular fatigue and the four metrics he uses to measure it
- How monitoring neuromuscular fatigue can help adapt and adjust your program
- How the evolution and development of Matej’s training over the years influenced how he trains older clients in the gym
- The reason Matej started the Movement Culture Project
- Matej’s advice to new coaches who want to succeed in their careers
- The Language of Coaching by Nick Winkelman
- Change Maker: Turn Your Passion for Health and Fitness into a Powerful Purpose and a Wildly Successful Career by John Berardi
Connect with Matej:
- Making Sense of Performance
- The Movement Culture Project
- Matej Hocevar on Instagram
- Matej Hocevar on Twitter
- Matej Hocevar on LinkedIn
- Email: [email protected]
Stop the Frustration! Get the Complete Coach Certification
Are you a young fitness trainer or coach?
Are you frustrated by the results you’re getting or the lack of resources available to learn the skills you need to be successful?
Are you struggling to get enough clients or wondering how long you’ll be able to follow your passion for helping others?
It’s time to stop the frustration and stop worrying. It’s time to get certified!
If you’re serious about improving your results, serious about becoming a better coach, and serious about increasing your bottom line, then you need the Complete Coach Certification.
In this massive course, you’ll learn:
- How to use the R7 system to create seamless, integrated and efficient programs for clients and athletes of all shapes and sizes
- How to create the culture, environment and relationships with everyone you train so you can get the absolute best results
- The exact progressions, regressions, and coaching cues I use in the gym – from squatting and deadlifting to pressing and pulling and everything in between
- And much, much more
This massive certification course is jam-packed with everything I’ve learned over the last 20 years of my career.
So if you’re ready to get serious about the results you’re getting for your clients and the impact your programs have on your income, head over to www.completecoachcertification.com to sign up for the Complete Coach Certification course today!
Spots are limited. The next certification is set to launch in September 2020.
Join my FREE Insiders List to learn more, stay tuned for our launch details and save $200 when the course opens!
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Physical Preparation Podcast – your one-stop-shop for fitness trainers, coaches, and athletes.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, SoundCloud, Spotify, and Google Podcasts and leave your honest review. I’d also love to connect via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
And last but not least, please don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends on social media. Thank you!