It can be challenging to coach a high school athlete. Caught between training and studying, these young athletes have a lot of things going on in their lives and can be prone to fatigue and exhaustion. Especially during the COVID-era.
Former IFAST intern Mike Coval knows this all too well.
Mike is the owner of COVAL Fitness, a personal training studio in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Over the last 10 years, Mike has worked with countless high school athletes to improve their physical fitness and performance.
Though Mike has observed that more and more kids take ownership of the training process despite its challenges, he suggests that coaches can still take their support for young, high school athletes to the next level by adapting their program to an athlete’s progress and lifestyle outside of the gym to develop a complete athlete.
Mike joins me today to share his philosophy in training and developing high school athletes. and illustrates the role of mindset and sense of ownership in a high school athlete’s training.
He explains what his “Big Body Challenge” is and describes how he uses it to help his high school athletes improve their nutrition.
And last but not least, he highlights the importance of focusing on movements when training a new athlete and underscores how a coach can support their recovery.
The kids who take ownership of their training are the ones who get the best results. – Mike Coval
This week on the Physical Preparation Podcast:
- Mike’s background and how COVID impacted his company
- Trends Mike sees when it comes to training high-school-age athletes
- The importance of ownership and responsibility
- How coaches assess a high school athlete’s nutrition
- Mike’s Big Body Challenge and his process for educating high school athletes on the importance of nutrition
- Sleep debt and how the pandemic affects the sleep hygiene of high school athletes
- How Mike coaches high school athletes on sleeping habits
- Why Mike focuses on refining movements when coaching new high school athletes
- The role of traditional strength and weight training in contemporary high school athletic programs
- Coaching movement, speed, and agility and the power of building trust
- Helping athletes manage fatigue and balance between training and personal life
- Mike’s advice to young coaches
Connect with Mike Coval:
- Coval Fitness
- Coval Fitness on Instagram
- Coval Fitness on YouTube
- Mike Coval on Instagram
- Mike Coval on Facebook
- EMAIL: [email protected]
Stop the Frustration! Get the Complete Coach Certification
Are you a young fitness trainer or coach?
Are you frustrated by the results you’re getting or the lack of resources available to learn the skills you need to be successful?
Are you struggling to get enough clients or wondering how long you’ll be able to follow your passion for helping others?
It’s time to stop the frustration and stop worrying. It’s time to get certified!
If you’re serious about improving your results, serious about becoming a better coach, and serious about increasing your bottom line, then you need the Complete Coach Certification.
In this massive course, you’ll learn:
- How to use the R7 system to create seamless, integrated and efficient programs for clients and athletes of all shapes and sizes
- How to create the culture, environment and relationships with everyone you train so you can get the absolute best results
- The exact progressions, regressions, and coaching cues I use in the gym – from squatting and deadlifting to pressing and pulling and everything in between
- The assessment process I use to determine the best exercises for a client or athlete on Day 1, and how to set them up for maximal success down the line!
This massive certification course is jam-packed with everything I’ve learned over the last 20 years of my career.
So if you’re ready to get serious about the results you’re getting for your clients and the impact your programs have on your income, head over to www.completecoachcertification.com to sign up for the Complete Coach Certification course today!
Spots are limited, and the next certification is set to launch in March 2021.
To learn more, please join my FREE Insiders List and stay tuned for our launch details to save $200 when the course opens!
Subscribe, Rate & Share!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Physical Preparation Podcast with Mike Robertson – your one-stop-shop for fitness trainers, coaches, and athletes.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, SoundCloud, Spotify, and Google Podcasts and leave your honest review. I’d also love to connect via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or visit our website.
And last but not least, please don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends on social media. Thank you!