A few years back at one of the Seattle Sounders seminars, I was listening to Chad Kolarcik talk about his strength training program with the team. And the more he detailed his program, the more I realized that he and I think very similarly with regards to athletic development.
In this episode we’re going to talk about Chad’s very roundabout career path, his big rocks for off-season training, and how he manages guys and keeps them fit over a grueling 9 or 10 month MLS Season.
Here’s an overview of what Chad and I covered:
- What originally led Chad to the world of physical preparation.
- His broad and wide-ranging path into the fitness industry.
- The main foci he has when developing an off-season program for the Sounders.
- What an off-season training week looks like, and how it changes over the course of the off-season.
- How to strike a balance with regards to off-season conditioning – getting them fit and ready for pre-season, but still seeing the big picture and realizing there’s a long season ahead!
- How Chad shifts the emphasis of his program when pre-season rolls around, as well as his big goals for pre-season training.
- His 2-3 goals for the team during the competitive season.
- What an in-season program looks like, both with regards to weekly layout and individual sessions.
- The BIG Question.
- The super stupendous lightning round where we chat about soccer, hockey, the incomparable Dave Tenney, and my favorite Sounder, Chad Marshall.