Tony Gentilcore is one of the co-founders of Cressey Sports Performance and worked there as a coach from 2007-2015. He now runs his own studio in Boston called CORE where he still trains athletes and general population clients from all walks of life.
I originally met Tony all all the way back in 2006, and it’s been awesome to see him grow and evolve over the years. It’s been a while since we’ve spoken, so in a lot of ways its like you’re listening in to a personal conversation between two friends.
In this show Tony and I talk about how he got started in physical preparation, the shift from training young to adult athletes, and some of the special considerations he makes when training women.
Here’s a brief overview of what we covered in this show:
- How Tony originally got into the world of physical preparation.
- His current gig at CORE.
- The shifts Tony has had to make from training teenage bros to adult athletes.
- An overview of his training and coaching philosophy.
- Tony’s assessment process, and some of the things he emphasizes on Day 1.
- How he takes that assessment information and uses it to build that first program.
- An overview of how a standard training session looks, including the things he throws in to keep his clients engaged.
- His thoughts on training women, and the subtle tweaks he uses to help them get the most out of their training.
- The BIG Question (with a hilarious answer).
- A fun lightning round where we discuss his obsession with his cat, his go-to song if he has to pull a PR, the books he’s into, and what’s up next for Tony G.
Sponsor: Physical Preparation Summit
The Book List
- Perfect Day Formula
- Slight Edge
- Get a Grip
- Seven Levels of Communication
- Total Money Makeover
- How to Win at Business
- Rise of Superman
- Extreme Ownership
- Content Inc
- Give and Take – Grant