I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again:
When it comes to training, I’m pretty vanilla.
I’m a big believer in using the big lifts (i.e. squats, deads, chins, rows, push-ups, etc.) with brutally efficient and effective technique.
AND In my opinion, split-stance exercises are a must-have in your programming .
In case you haven’t been paying attention, here are a few reasons you’ll want to include some variation in your next training cycle:
- They build unilateral leg strength,
- They improve stability and control through the core, hips, pelvis and feet,
- They can be used as an inhibition tool to shut-off the hip flexors,
- And on and on.
Quite simply, split-stance exercises rock.
But as vanilla as I am, there are times when I like to take a basic exercise and put a subtle tweak or spin on it, to make it even more effective.
Enter the low-cable split-squat….
(And in case that video isn’t clear with regards to the set-up, here’s another version!)
To recap, here’s what you need to know about the low-cable split-squat, and how to do it right.
- Set-up in a 90-90 position, and bring the front foot back slightly so you can feel the whole foot.
- Reach long through the arm, exhale, and tuck the pelvis underneath you using your lower abs.
- Hold this pelvic position, and drop straight down. You should get a nice stretch in the hip flexors.
- Push through the whole foot (and always feel the heel!), to return to the starting position.
I’m a big believer in using the low-cable split-squat early in an athletes’ training cycle, as it helps them learn the movement quickly, and can also reinforce a balanced center of gravity.
Give this exercise a shot the next time you’re in the gym – I think you’ll really like how it feels!
All the best
P.S. – If you want more coaching tips and tricks like this one, then definitely check out my Physical Preparation 101 DVD series. It takes you step-by-step through all the major exercise branches, and shows you how to coach each one for maximum effectiveness.
Physical Preparation 101
The Physical Preparation 101 DVD’s are guaranteed to supercharge your program design and coaching. With close to 12 hours of content, this is a complete training system that is guaranteed to take your programming and coaching skills to the next level!Learn More